Through the Community Grants program, the Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV) will award grants of funds and volunteer hours to support Northern Virginia community programs in the City of Alexandria; and Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties. For the 2020-2021 League year, the JLNV will partner with community programs and projects selected in accordance with the terms identified below. In addition to a grant award of up to $4,000, each community grantee will receive a pre-determined number of volunteer hours (up to 100 volunteer hours maximum) to support selected projects. League volunteers are not intended to fill existing organizational/agency staffing needs, or to participate in any fundraising activities. Volunteer activities must be for elementary school-age children only unless otherwise approved by the JLNV. Each community partnership term is from June 2020 – May 2021. The League may support a Community Grant Partner for multiple years; however, the organization must reapply each year.
Organizations selected as Community Grant Partners will sign a contract with the Junior League of Northern Virginia. This contract requires the organization to indemnify, release, and hold harmless our volunteers and the League, and to add the League and its volunteers to any insurance coverage. It also requires disclosure and accountability on the use of JLNV funds. Specifically, organizations receiving League funds agree to (1) document expenses for grant funding and volunteer time in the form of two bi-annual reports, submitted to the JLNV in November and June; and (2) participate in an evaluation of outcomes. The JLNV reserves the right to terminate its contractual relationship with any Community Grants Partner.
Terms of Partnership:
Proposed community projects should address a community need that is directly related to the JLNV’s focus area of combating childhood obesity through nutrition and physical activity education, and should promote healthy eating and active living.
Mission Statement: The Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Focus Area: The Junior League of Northern Virginia is committed to preparing children for success by addressing childhood obesity through the promotion of nutrition and physical activity education, which is proven to enrich health, well-being, and academic outcomes. Through collaboration and engagement, we seek to reduce the number of children impacted by childhood obesity by empowering families to make healthier choices.
- The mission of the community agency and/or of the agency’s proposed project must comply with the focus areas of the JLNV.
- JLNV volunteers must be utilized in quality positions that will allow members to volunteer in two (2) hour blocks. Volunteer time commitment includes time for training, direct service and evaluation.
- JLNV volunteers may not be asked to drive clients during project-related activities, solicit funds or service as representatives of the League for other non-profit agencies, or plan/participate in another organization’s fundraiser for JLNV credit.
- JLNV funds may not be used for individual’s projects, religious projects, government entities, newsletters, monthly publications, media items, fundraising or capital campaigns, and political activities.
- Additionally, JLNV will not fund the following budget line items:
- travel expenses
- office rent or office equipment usage
- tuition / scholarships
- Virtual Information Session #1: Wednesday, September ?, 2019
- Virtual Information Session #2: Monday, October 14, 2019
- Application Due Date: Saturday, December 7, 2019
- Grantees Notified: Monday, March 31, 2020
- Grant Contracts Signed: April 2020
- Projects Begin: June 2020
Please be sure to complete all fields of the cover page, application form, and include the required appendices. Grant applications for the 2020-2021 League year must be submitted no later than Monday, December 2, 2019 at 5 p.m. EST.
You are not currently logged in. Please log in to submit this form.